Internet usage is on the rise. Online interactions are a critical part of the way we socialize, communicate, and conduct business. As more time is spent online, Internet users expect positive experiences when engaging in online interactions and visiting websites.
Inexperienced site owners can sometimes make serious mistakes on their websites that can drive visitors away, sometimes forever. We're here to warn and guide you on what to avoid when creating your website.
Here are some of the most annoying things you can do on your site:
- Splash pages - Visitors have already committed to enter your site. Is there really a need to have them re-confirm their desire by asking them to “click here to enter?" Don’t let splash pages become barriers between visitors and the information they came for. You might just lose them on the way.
- Pop up ads – Do you like flyers and brochures in your mail box? Or left on your door knob? No? Well how about right in your face, jumping at you when you read the newspaper? I do not want to see advertisements blocking my screen when I ‘m reading something online. And I certainly don’t want to chase roaches, mice, and dollar bills flying across my screen. Not to mention the X button running away from me ... when I catch you, I’m gonna click on you and close you forever!
- Disabled right click button - It truly drives me crazy! I love my right click menu. Taking it away from me will truly annoy me and will make you look unprofessional.
- Background music -There are several reasons you should never use background music on your webpage:
- Personal taste varies, and you can't please every visitor.
- It takes more time for your page to load.
- It might interfere with other music playing.
- It can be embarrassing in an office situation.
- It is unprofessional.
- It might offend some of your visitors or simply scare them away.
Example: www.qssis.com (warning: heart-attack inducing!)
- Auto-play videos - Same as background music. Let your visitors decide what action they wish to take while visiting your website. Auto-play videos are rude and annoying as much as background music.
- Warning messages - "Wait! Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?! Check out our 20% discount before you go!" "Are you 100% sure you want to navigate away from this page?" Yes! I am very sure. Actually I want to leave right now! Just let me go already! Warning messages are annoying! Just let your visitors go if they want to. Trying to hold them with warning massages is desperate (and unprofessional).
- Sign in to get information - I just want to see your sample rates. I do not want to give away my home address and telephone number so you can bug me in real life. Please let me see the info I require without asking me to give you my personal information.
- Bad colors - If a website's colors make the site difficult to read, you can frustrate users to the point that they leave. For example, white fonts are hard to read on a yellow background. I also don’t appreciate radiant green on a black background - it simply hurts my eyes! Here are some examples of dizzying designs: