As consumers’ expectations from a company’s website evolves, so must marketers. Fortunately, with HubSpot’s stacked capabilities, there are numerous ways to make your website stand out.
With HubSpot’s HubDB, you can use your data to create exciting and interactive pages for specific parts of your website. One particular way is to create a dynamic page.
Continue reading to get a more in-depth look at what HubDB is, what dynamic pages are, and how to create one.
What is HubDB?
Before we get too far, it’s important to explain just precisely what HubDB is. HubDB is a relational database and website add-on tool. Its data is represented as rows, columns, and cells in a table, similar to a spreadsheet. From that data, you can request information to be displayed on your website in a specific format.
While it may seem overly technical, both developers and marketers can benefit from using it. For example, a developer can create the functionality of your table or other data-driven modules, then hand it off to a marketer to overtake the ongoing maintenance.
How Does it Work?
In the simplest explanation, HubDB works by:
- Setting up tables in HubDB, then adding columns and rows
- Customizing what goes in each column/row by adding rich text, single-line text, numbers, images, etc.
- Enjoying easy maintenance for updates as your company grows
What About Dynamic Pages?
Now to the real reason you’re here: Learning about dynamic pages. A dynamic website page is any page whose content changes based on the path of the URL requested by an end-user. With dynamic pages, HubDB allows you to create a page for every row in your table, which affects what the page looks like and how it functions for your visitors. Each dynamic page includes its own unique, SEO-friendly URL, and offers page-specific analytics.
To create a dynamic page with HubDB, you’ll need someone on your team who is familiar with HubSpot’s CMS, Design Manager, HTML, and CSS – depending on what you plan to do.
What Are the Steps to Create a Dynamic Page?
The first step with any HubSpot project is to be sure you’re logged into your portal and ready to work.
Step 1 – Create a Table
Once you’re in your portal, it’s time to get to work by creating your table.
- Navigate to “Marketing” in the Header, then “Files and Templates,” then “HubDB.”
- Click “Create table” and name your table.
- Click “Actions,” then “Manage Settings” and finally, “Enable creation of dynamic pages using row data.”
- Hit “Save.” From here, you’ll see two columns – page title and page path. The page title is simply the name of the page, as seen in your title tag. The page path is the last segment of the URL for the dynamic page created by each row in the table. Type in this content or import it from a CSV file.
- Click “Publish.”
Step 2 – Create a Template
The second step of creating a dynamic page involves coding a template, so be sure to have a developer to help.
- Go to Design Manager and hit create a new “HTML & HUBL template” and name your template.
- Create a Custom Module
- Note: The code for your template will change depending on what your dynamic page’s purpose is. For example, if you’re creating a dynamic team’s page, you’ll need to code both the listing page that lists all the rows of team members and each detail page for each row.
- Publish your template by hitting, “Making this template available for new content.”
For an example of code, you may use for a template used within a dynamic page, visit this HubSpot Knowledge Base Article.
Step 3 – Create the Dynamic Page
With all your pieces ready, it’s time to create your dynamic page directly from your template.
- In Design Manager, select your template.
- Hit “Actions” and “Choose Page.”
- Make it a website page and give it a name.
- Click “Settings” and give your page a title and URL.
- Navigate to “Advanced Options” and select your HubDB table from the “Table for dynamics pages” menu.
- Fill in any remaining details for the base page in “Settings,” including page title and meta description.
- Hit “Publish.”
Dynamic Pages You Can Make with HubDB
Now that you know how to create a dynamic page, what should you make one for? We’ve briefly discussed creating a dynamic team page, but there are several applications for its uses. However, here are a few common examples that are easy to create:
- Event Calendars
- Resources Centers – Blogs, guides, case studies
- Searchable Directories – Product, automotive, real-estate listings
- Office or Store Locators
- Image Galleries
- Interactive Maps
- Course Listings
Need Additional Help?
If you’re excited about dynamic pages, but are hesitant or lack the necessary resources, don’t worry. We can help throughout the process – whether it’s brainstorming ideas on what dynamic pages to create or helping code your template. With the help of HubDB experts, you’ll be on your way to showcasing unique content on your website that keeps your visitors engaged. Contact us today to learn more about where we can provide our services.